Use this great brining and roasting recipe for the juiciest and most flavorful Thanksgiving Turkey your family will ever have!
(serves 6-8, prep time 24 hours, cook time 3-6 hours)
Crispin Cider Brine
1 cup sea salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup apple juice
2 22oz bottles Crispin Honeycrisp cider
4 sprigs each of rosemary and thyme
1 1/2 gallons of water
1. In a large cooking pot warm both bottles of cider, add salt and brown sugar and stir until dissolved completely. About 10 minutes
2. In a large container or sanitary culinary bucket place the apple juice. water and cider/salt/sugar solution. Stir to mix well then add herbs
3. Completely submerge turkey in brine solution and let rest in refrigerator for 24 hours
Roasting the Turkey:
Turkey from brining solution
2 large apples peeled
4 tbsp butter
4 cups brine solution
1 large onion quartered
1 large carrot cut into 1 inch chunks
1 large celery stick cut into 1 inch chunks
Thyme and Rosemary from brine
1. After removing turkey from brine and patting dry, rub 4 tbsp of butter over the entire turkey then turn breast side down.
2. Pour the 2 cups of brine, 2 cups of water, the herbs and all the vegetable inside the turkey. Don’t worry much of the brine and water will wash out of the turkey
3. Roast the turkey breast side down for 1 hour, remove from oven and baste with brine solution in bottle of pan.
4. Turn the turkey breast side up and lay the thinly slice apples over the breast of the turkey until completely covered. Cover turkey with foil and cook one more hour then remove apples and cook last hour without apples to brown the skin.
5. Baste turkey every half hour using the stock from the roasting pan (add additional brine if becoming dry) until internal temp reads about 165F when inserted into the meatiest part of the turkey. Approximately 3 hours.
6. Remove from oven and let stand for about 20 minutes before slicing
Note: you can use vegetables and apples from baking as an addition to you holiday stuffing
Enjoy your beautiful Thanksgiving Turkey with Crispin Honeycrisp or your favorite Crispin Cider!